Problem DescriptionThe power sector has become significantly cleaner in recent years, but a fundamental reconfiguration is required to achieve a deep reduction in GHG emissions and move toward the 80 x 50 goal.
- Remove barriers to more efficient power generation and increased renewable power production
- Support the development of renewable power resources
- Increase the share of wind power in the City’s power mix
- Adopt smart grid technologies and reduce transmission bottlenecks
- Expand decentralized power production
- Achieve net-zero energy at in-city wastewater treatment plants by 2050
While a low carbon power sector is technically feasible, many hurdles remain. Much of our current energy supply and the barriers to cleaner generation lie beyond the geographic boundaries of the city. Therefore, our 80 x 50 plan will be based on a regional strategy. We will partner with other municipalities, utilities, transmission owners, generators, and energy services companies, as well as State and Federal regulators, in order to achieve significant GHG reductions.
Solution StageOne of the 7 stages of an innovation. Learn more
|STAGE||SPECIALIST SKILLS REQUIRED||EXAMPLE ACTIVITIES||RISK LEVEL AND HANDLING||FINANCE REQUIRED||KINDS OF EVIDENCE GENERATED||GOAL|
|Developing and testing3||Mix of design and implementation skills|
|A stronger case with cost and benefit projections developed through practical trials and experiments, involving potential users||Demonstration that the idea works, or evidence to support a reworking of the idea|